Thursday 10 December 2009

Transcript of a Foolish Debate

(Ab, James and Mum are sitting in the lounge. Mum is watching a dancing programe on TV, Ab and James are quietly discussing a book. 'The Heart Asks Pleasure First', a piece Ab plays very frequently on the piano, comes on as a backing track to the dance programe. Suddenly Mum screams out...)
Mum: Ab, Ab, it's your song, they're playing your song!
Ab: (sarcastic as ever) Mmmm, you're right, I do have copyright over it. (Ab and James snigger)
Mum: Well surely you do, you wrote it!
Ab: Not unless I lived a past life as Michael Nyman.
Mum: (missing the point and getting quite hysterical) Why didn't you tell me about this? Have you recorded a whole album behind my back?
Ab: (finally catching on) (laughs so hard) You daftey! I didn't write that! It's just one I like to play!
Mum: (enters predicted sulk) Well, you play so many pieces and make lots up, how am I supposed to keep up?
Ab: (counts to 10 in head) Surely you would have noticed your daughter sneaking off and recording an album? And no way would I have kept that quiet! (cracks up again)
Mum: (looks daggers at Ab)
(Ab is forced to question the maturity of her own mother)

No comments: