Thursday 21 October 2010

Political Activism and Dinosaurs

Guess what? I was thinking the other day about politics. So much so that I'm creating a label for it one this blog so that if I post more political stuff, it can be easily 'filed' and found by inquiring minds. Anyway, my political thought was 'there is no point just sitting around complaining about political problems and social injustices (the world is sadly full of them, and it is some human's innate instinct to hate people different to themselves that often convinces me of God's non-existence), that's not going to do anything. Get off your butt Ab Brightman and go make a difference.' I have spare time that I fill with internal dialogue about current issues, so it figures that I could use that time to help solve the issues that bug me. With me?

As I'm not old enough to vote yet (the voting age is 18 here, and I am 17 at the end of March), I thought 'official' political activism might be a bit tricksy to get into, but then I heard about this great organisation called 'Liberal Youth'. I'm a liberal at heart, so it sounded up my street, and after a bit of research it turned out that they were a branch of the Liberal Democrats, which would be the party I'd vote for now if I could. Rock on, thinks me, so I'm now in the process of exploring what it's all about, and hopefully getting involved in a wee bit o' campaigning! Luckily, the Chair of my area's branch is also in my school's Sixth Form (for sixth form stuff, we've actually posted stuff over at http://www.lifeinthesixth.blogspot.com/), although in the year above, but she was still able to provide me with lots of useful info. Anyone else into political activism?

On another note, how awful are the new proposed university fees (over £7000 a year in tuition alone)? It's ridiculous, practically more than my Mother earns a year. Hopefully the Lib Dems will stick true to their policies and vote against it!

And here's a great picture of a Tyranowhoreus Rex from the hilarious Hyperbole and a Half, because we all need a laugh.

No comments: