Saturday 5 June 2010

How Anne's Ruined Maths


Did anyone see 'The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister' the other night? Yes? No? If not, I highly recommend you check it out on BBC iplayer (there until monday) if you live in Britain. It was fantastic - Anne was such a rebel and Maxine Peake was in her element, bringing a wry touch of humour to the role. Anyway, I’ve just realised that Anne has ruined maths for me. Well, maybe more tainted it, but nevertheless, it is no longer a ‘clean’ subject.

Let me explain.

Anne Lister lived in the early 19th century, was a wealthy landowner, and all round pusher of social boundaries. Somehow, between all her wooing of various women, coal mining and education, she managed to write down 4 million words in her diary, most of which was in a code that was only recently properly deciphered. In her coded journals she always wrote an X to mean orgasm, which she appeared to have quite a lot of as she slept with many women in the 19th century. In maths, I have to constantly find what X equals - well now I know exactly what it means. And every time I see the letter X on a page in the GCSE exam on Monday, guess what I’m gonna (inadvertently) think of? Yeah, I'm pretty sure you've got it.

Apologies to anyone who I've now ruined maths for. Sorry, it was for entertainment purposes only.

2 comments:

Katie Birchall said...

you should be sorry!!! i suffer enough finding dirty meanings in everything!!!! NOW THIS >.< grrrrrrr

Ab said...

Haha, well at least this may make monday's exam more interesting... although potentially harder to concentrate on the numbers!