Monday 7 June 2010

The Mysterious 4-Sided Shape

Today was the momentous day of my GCSE maths exam (kind of a big deal apparently). I however, was concerned with more pressing issues than the questions on the paper and continually being distracted by all the Xs in my paper (see my last post 'How Anne's Ruined Maths' if you are unaware of the significance of those Xs). Yes indeedy, there were in fact more interesting things than the exam paper (a slight pause here to allow you to get your breathe back due to hyperventilating after reading such an outlandish statement), such as:
  • Watching the invigilator who was so clinically obese  chunk-o that she couldn't fit between the rows of desks that we were working on, attempting to fit  between them and continually knocking into people's desks and causing their pens to role about.
  • The bloke sitting in front of me who's trousers were just low enough so that every time he leaned forward to work, his butt crack looked at me through the small but perfectly placed hole in the back of his chair.
  • Looking up at the ceiling of the sports hall (exam central) and counting the number of balls that are stuck amongst the rafters. A surprising amount actually - probably even enough to single-handedly supply the world cup with balls.
  • Observing the invigilator who, every time he turned towards the far wall, would 'sneakily' wipe his nose on his sleeve, then turn back to the room again with a 'haha, I managed to pull off that booger-wipe nicely, and no-one saw' face. Considering he was in a room filled with over 300 people, that was dumber than when I couldn't spell my own first name at the front of the paper. Admittedly it is abhorrent and I'm loath to ever use it, but still!
  • The invigilator who spent all the time I looked at her staring at another invigilator's chest. Now whether the object of staring had a hidden soup stain on her chest that the Starer was being OCDish about, or whether the starer was simply trying out an Anne-Lister-in-church move, I don't know. However, it was face to mammary glands for at least 30 minutes.
Another point of interest/entertainment was the remark I heard soon after we all got out of the exam hall:

Boy A: Does it still count as a triangle if it ended-up with 4 sides?
Boy B: Yeah, so long as all the angles added-up to 140 degrees.

I kid you not. Lets hope Friday's maths exam is quite as eventful as this one...

By the way, I have now included a reactions whatchamajig at the bottom of each blog - you can tick the boxes that apply, and if you want a bigger variety of choices, just let me know.

No comments: